The Runaway Hug

From our Year One Info Lit Blog,

Posted by Samone Robertson

Today we read our first shortlisted book for 2012 Book of the Year.  The Runaway Hug is in the Early Childhood category and is written by Nick Bland.  It is about a little girl called Lucy who wants a hug from her Mum before going to bed.  The problem is that Mummy only has one hug left.  Lucy and Mummy agree that Lucy will just borrow the hug and she promises to give it back.  Off she goes to share the hug with everyone in her family.  Along the way it becomes softer, sleepier, bigger, even peanut-buttery.  But when the hug runs away, Lucy discovers that it may not be so easy to get it back.  I loved this book (I’ll definately be voting for it!).  I especially loved the illustrations which depict beautifully all the messy, wonderful, lovingness that is family.  After sharing this book we talked about how important  hugs are and how special they can make us feel.  We then made our very own ‘Book of Hugs’  containing  ‘hug vouchers’ meant specifically for the members of our family.  There’ll be a lot of hugs being shared in our Oatlands community tonight!